Thomas Jefferson's Birthday Today

Guess whose birthday it is today? That's right--Thomas Jefferson, one of my favorite people. He said and wrote many insightful & truly quotable things--but this one is my favorite.


Did you Know--After selling his personal library to the Library of Congress, Thomas Jefferson wrote to John Adams in 1815, “I cannot live without books...” He gave up his nearly 7,000 volume library to replace the books burned by the British during the War of 1812. Shortly after this, he began collecting books again amassing another library again by the time of his death. During his lifetime he collected almost 9,000 volumes. I wonder how others feel about books and their own person libraries. Are you like me in that the first thing you think about purchasing is books? Do you have a personal relationship with your books like Jefferson? If we can teach our children the love of books, the world would be a very different place.

No comments: