Touched by God's Love




This past Sunday morning, I headed to the restroom during the beginning of the church service. I had a wardrobe adjustment to make to the zipper on my dress thanks to Son #2. When I walked into the restroom, I saw two women there. One of them I was acquainted with as she was in my small group at our Fall ladies Bible study. I knew a bit about her life and her situation. As I moved toward a stall, I noticed this lady was crying. I kept moving into the stall to do my business and listened to her speak. She was crying because of something that had been said at the beginning of the service. That we basically come to the table before God empty handed and yet he still loves us. I came out of the stall, the other woman left and I began speaking with my friend. I wanted her to know she didn’t have to be embarrassed about crying. Tears are good. Tears mean that her heart is still soft and God has an entrance to her heart. She’d been touched by God’s Love. 
We come before God wretched—all of us—we have nothing to offer him and yet he still loves us. That’s a wonderful thing! But how many of us hear these kinds of statements in church and it just rolls over us without reaching our hearts? What does that say about us? Those of us who go to church, are we really being ministered to? Are we allowing God into us? Don’t you want to be Touched by God too?  I am reminded of the verse in Ezekiel 36:26 “And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.” 
God promises to remove our heart of stone and replace it with a heart of flesh. That is a scary and wonderful thought at the same time. Have we let God soften our hearts? If we have are we moving back to stone? In this day in age it is hard to let people get too close to open our hearts to them because we can so easily be hurt. But in the process we are closing off an important part of us even from God and our loved ones. I thank the Lord that I went into that bathroom Sunday morning and ran into my friend. Through her tears and soft heart, I was ministered to. God reminded me to keep my heart open and allow Him in to me. Maybe the next time I hear a statement like she heard this week, I too will be in tears as I have been Touched by God’s Love.

No comments: