Review of Love Riot: A Teenage Call to Live with Relentless Abandon for Christ by Sara Barratt


Before starting this book, I had heard it was a combination of Crazy Love and Do Hard Things. I totally agree with that assessment. I’d even throw in Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman. Though intended for youth, I, as a mom, youth worker and author, found the book to be fantastic! Parents and Youth Workers need to get this book and read it with your kids/students. There is fantastic discussion questions included at the end of each chapter. Brett & Alex Harris wrote Do Hard Things as older teens back in 2008. Ms. Barratt’s message is in the same vein as that book of teens not only getting off the bench and rejecting low expectations, but also making a choice to be Christ followers. And to become not just a Christian in name but in heart and in deed. 


But don’t take my word for it. Read some of the quotes that I found most impactful.



“The church isn’t made up of perfect people but forgiven people.”


“Being a picture-perfect Christian might build our egos, but being a Jesus follower isn’t about building our egos but building His kingdom.”



“He meets us where we are and says we’re never too far gone. He turns a mess into a message, a failure into a conqueror, an outcast into a child of God.”

“I’ve learned my comfort zones may feel safe, but in reality, they’re a prison keeping me from fully following Christ.”


“Friends can lift you up or pull you down. Choose friends that challenge you to read your Bible, pray for you, and inspire you to follow Jesus.”

“We keep on creating little pockets of heaven on earth when we offer grace instead of wrath. Forgiveness instead of hatred. Purity in a world of impurity.”


“My prayer for our generation is that we fall deeply in love with Jesus and grow passionate about the gospel. I pray He sweeps us off our feet with the beauty of His sacrifice and sets a fire in our souls to share Him with others.”


Though intended for youth, this young lady convicted me, taught me and inspired me. This is a must read for this current generation.


Buy a Copy Today. Releases everywhere 5/5/2020. 

I received an ARC from the publisher and this is my honest review.

No comments: